Migraine Awareness Month #4: "June Is Bustin' Out All Over!"

I'm taking part in a 1-month blogging challenge from Health Central's migraine group. Today's blog - What's the best tip I can offer for having some summer fun despite Migraines?

So, the temperature is now in the summer regions, though early June still has some ups and downs, and we're settling into the very different rythm that we enjoy from June through August. Even as a person without kids, my life's rythms benefit from summer, too.

Although some migrainers have triggers that change from season to season, some don't. I tend to think mine are worse in the spring and summer. But, that doesn't mean summer is a lost joy. At least not all the time.

The best tip I can offer is to have your fun with a back-up plan for migraine onset. Easy to say, sometimes much harder to do. But some things that help me in the summer when I'm enjoying fun with friends, especially on day trips or overnight trips, are -

-either driving myself so I can leave early if I start to feel off, or riding with someone who understands that we may need to leave

-finding ways to stay cool (overheating is one of my triggers), putting an instant cold pack or gel cooling headache patch in my purse can really make a difference

-if I'm really concerned, bringing a travel eye mask & ear plugs with me - these really help to cushion my senses if they are tense. There have been concerts that I've been able to continue to enjoy when I've felt a migraine coming if I can take meds quickly enough and wear earplugs.

-making sure to keep my blood sugar up, maybe bringing some protein bars

-giving myself time & permission to nap if I'm overtired from travel

Just a few ideas!



National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.



0 comments:

Hats Make Me Happy

Hats Make Me Happy
An Easter Hat and Me

Step into my inner world.

Sometimes, I hesitate to share thoughts that flit and emotions that surge and wane. Yet I so value when my friends share these insights with me. I get to know them in a special way.

So I invite you to get to know me - or continue knowing me - through this space of exploration.

I promise to reveal some of the joys, fears, observations, profundity, and ironies of life that come to mind day by day.

Don't forget to share with me your own inner sphere!

"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." - e.e. cummings