Wishes, Dreams and Drawings

Do you remember when you were about 6 or 7, and you got to tell a story through a drawing or writing or both? My mom had been an art major, and I lucked out, because she bought me the most interesting coloring books. One that she got me was The Anti-Coloring Book.

As an adult, I love the concept of the Anti-Coloring Book. It gives you unfinished stories to draw or illustrate, like a newspaper front page that you get to draw your own idea for the picture, and write your own headline and first paragraph.

Now, because I was such a perfectionist, most of the pages are still untouched. I wanted to have a grand idea before I drew on them. Looking at the coloring book now, I still feel a sense of frustration at what I did draw on the few pages I filled in. They just aren't that interesting. I think I needed a SARK to help me feel comfortable putting my ideas down.

But every once in a while, there is one like this:
(click on image to see it larger)



The top of the page didn't come out, but it said something like, you are a botanist and you have just discovered a new flower that is poisonous. What is it like?

I think it's funny how macabre my imagination was at this stage, yet how lovely the flower is. I can tell that I've heard way too many stories from my dad when I go through the Anti-Coloring Book as so many of the pictures I did draw are of UFO's, one of his favorite topics. He believes they are real, and it captured my imagination.

Can you tell what I wrote for "how do you know it is poisonous?" I said: " I had a spider who could only die of poison and he touched the flower and died within 60 seconds." A reporter in the making! Such clarity! Such concrete facts! I love it.

I also like the bright colors. It's funny that I've always like a bright palette.

Here though is an illustration that shows my true heart's desires -
(click on image to see it larger)



I LOVE THIS! My wish was for "many horses and unicorns and flying horses and flying unicorns" (have to specific!) "and money and animal refuge". The picture to the right of the unicorn is wings for the flying unicorns and horses. Hmm. I think these things are still part of my wish list...

May you have a day of freeing your imagination...and remembering things that you loved as a kid and may still have a place in your heart today.

2 comments:

Katie Dunlap October 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Michele October 9, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

totally love it! awesome. speaking of kids, I was having dinner with the Lafferty's and Adriaan (almost 3) was super talkitive and Will said to him, "I don't think you've used up all your words today." Adriaan says, "Yea, I have words." Was too cute. He a very articulate kid. Isaiah Rees is too. Hope you have a great weekend. It's raining today here but we are suppose to have cool weather here this weekend which is pretty exciting!

Hats Make Me Happy

Hats Make Me Happy
An Easter Hat and Me

Step into my inner world.

Sometimes, I hesitate to share thoughts that flit and emotions that surge and wane. Yet I so value when my friends share these insights with me. I get to know them in a special way.

So I invite you to get to know me - or continue knowing me - through this space of exploration.

I promise to reveal some of the joys, fears, observations, profundity, and ironies of life that come to mind day by day.

Don't forget to share with me your own inner sphere!

"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." - e.e. cummings